KRISHNGAGAR GOVERNMENT COLLEGE
NAAC REACCREDITED A-GRADE CGPA: 3.17
INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION
COLLEGE WITH POTENTIAL FOR EXCELLENCE (2010-2013)
Krishnagar College was established based on the education pattern of the Imperial British Raj. In a publication of Macaulay in 1835, more emphasis was put on higher education than on education for the masses. According to him their capacity was too little to provide with education for such a large mass of commoners. Rather it was preferable to formulate an elite class of academia who will be a holistic aid to smooth running of the administration under the then British domain. This highly educated class was supposed to be completely British in their temperament and outlook though in flesh and blood they were Indians.
By and by the necessity of women’s education was also felt, which led to turn this college into a co-educational institution in 1932. Presently, our principal aim is to impart finest quality of higher education to one and all irrespective of differences in gender, caste, creed, religion and socio-economic conditions. This college is located in the District Head Quarter of Nadia District, namely Krishnagar. This is a suburb surrounded by rural atmosphere. Yet, the greater perspective is to help the students to upgrade their socio-economic conditions along with their sense of responsibilities to be good citizens of the nation.
The journey of this educational institute started on 28th November, 1845 in a local rented house located at Hatarpara. For its smooth running, With the sanction of Lord Hardinge, the then Governor General of India, the college was formally launched on 1st of January and was provided with a grant 1846 by the British Government. The king (Raja) of Nadia, Srishachandra Roy and the queen (Maharani) of Cossimbazaar of Murshidabad district Srimati Swarnamoyee contributed vast tracts of land for construction of a new college building. Moreover, the local elites also came forward with financial assistance to build up the present palatial building of Krishnagar College. On 1st of June, 1856, the institution was shifted from that rented house to this palace.
On 2nd June 1948 the Council of Education took over the administration of the college and continued with the task upto January 1855 when the responsibility of the college was shifted to the Director of Public Instruction, Government of Bengal. The Entrance and F.A. Examinations of the University of Calcutta (founded in 1857) substituted the Junior and Senior Scholarship Examinations for the college students in 1865. The B.A. and Law classes were started in the same year. The M.A. course was started in 1870 and the Survey Department was opened in 1872. In 1908, after the reorganization of University of Calcutta the school was separated from the college and M.A. and B.L courses were abolished. Subsequently affiliations for the I.Sc. and B.Sc. Examinations were obtained. English and Mathematics as Honours subjects and Economics and Philosophy as Pass subjects were introduced at that time.
From 1999 onwards this college has been incorporated under the University of Kalyani. Post-graduate teaching was introduced in the Departments of Geography and Philosophy in 2002, in the Department of Bengali in 2008 and in the Department of Zoology in 2010. Hence for the last 168 years this institution of higher education represents the outcome of a series of vicissitudes, political understandings, exchange of socio-cultural values and ethics across the borders and has traced out a glorious historical pathway of culture and civilization for Bengal in particular and India in general. Located a few kilometers away from Krishnagar railway station, avoiding the din and bustle of congested lifestyle, this abode of Goddess Saraswati (the Goddess of learning and knowledge), has evolved into a an ideal place of learning in a serene environment. It is surrounded by huge playgrounds and fields on one side and two boys’ hostel on the other. The whole setup portrays a picturesque landscape.